Thursday, March 1, 2012

Discovering your influences..

Please listen to the following video while listening (no need to watch):



Do you know that euphoric feeling you get when you witness something that you find so inspirational? And that feeling you get when you 'discover' a person that you believe you've met before, long before either of you were born? I got that feeling today. Today I 'met' Arvo Pärt. Not in person, but in soul.  Arvo Pärt  is an Estonian composer, and I discovered him and his music today by coincidence. He is famous for his 'Tintinnabulation' composition approach which he 'created'. I'm going to share with you a few of his words and music.

"Silence is the pause in me when I am near to God."

"Tintinnabulation is an area I sometimes wander into when I am searching for answers--in my life, my music, my work. In my dark hours, I have the certain feeling that everything outside this one thing has no meaning. The complex and many-faceted only confuses me, and I must search for unity. What is it, this one thing, and how do I find my way to it? Traces of this perfect thing appear in many guises--and everything that is unimportant falls away."

"A need to concentrate on each sound, so that every blade of grass would be as important as a flower."

"I could compare my music to white light which contains all colours. Only a prism can divide the colours and make them appear; this prism could be the spirit of the listener."

"I have discovered that it is enough when a single note is beautifully played."


Now to his music. You need not watch anything. Just close your eyes and 'feel' whatever it is you hear. Whatever it is, I can almost promise you that it'll be beautiful. For me, it is beyond.




God bless.

(:

No comments:

Post a Comment