Monday, August 27, 2012

House, M.D.

Today I'm going to share with you some quotes from Dr. Gregory House (portrayed by Hugh Laurie), from the T.V. show House, which I have recently started watching. I just finished watching season one yesterday, and most of the following quotes are from it, and all are spoken by Dr. House himself. I realize some of these quotes won't make much sense out of context, but they will still give you something to think about. While watching the show, not only did I find the show interesting, but I also related to Dr. House's ideas. He has a philosophical side, he's an asocial misanthrope, and he's cynical and narcissistic.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Everybody lies."

"Humanity is overrated."

"Reality is almost always wrong."

"There is not a thin line between love and hate. There is --- in fact --- a Great Wall of China with armed sentries posted every 20 feet between love and hate."

"The most successful marriages are based on lies."

"People like talking about people. Makes us feel superior. Makes us feel in control. And sometimes, for some people, knowing some things makes them care."

"I choose to believe that the white light people sometimes see... they're all just chemical reactions that take place when the brain shuts down.... There's no conclusive science. My choice has no practical relevance to my life, I choose the outcome I find more comforting.... I find it more comforting to believe that this isn't simply a test."

"It's a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies... the only variable is about what."

"If you can fake sincerity, you can fake pretty much anything."

"You want to know how two chemicals interact, do you ask them? No, they're going to lie through their lying little chemical teeth. Throw them in a beaker and apply heat."

"It's one of the great tragedies of life — something always changes."

"In this universe effect follows cause. I've complained about it but—"

"If you talk to God you're religious. If God talks to you, you're psychotic."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I realize you may not agree with everything he says (I personally don't), but it's still interesting to think about it. If you have time, watch the show. Hugh Laurie is an excellent actor, and he fits Dr. House's character perfectly.



"Humanity is overrated." ~ Dr. House

No comments:

Post a Comment